An affordable vacation is only one of many steps you can take to ensure your next vacation suits your budget.Take a look at some money-saving tips, both before travel and after you arrive.
Before you go
Planning your vacation
* Travel during the low season (October-March), when the prices are lower and the experience offered is still extrodinary.
* Take an escorted tour vacation. You'll be treated to more sights, more insight, and more fun at pre-set price.
* Consider vacationing in another country with a favourable Ringgit exchange.
There are some simple steps in your everyday life you may want to think about well before your departure date to help get more of your vacation.
* Trade your everyday indulges for the real thing on vacation.For instance, skip your daily Starbucks routine, knowing you'll enjoy an authentic cup of coffee in a cafe in Italy.
* If you're planning to call home while travelling, either buy a calling card or invest in an international line.
* Take a snack and drink before take off and on the plane so you can eat without paying for airline food.
Remember, items you buy while on vacation almost always cost more.Pack carefully, and keep airport security restrictions in mind:
* Don't over-pack.If your bag is overweight during airline check-ins, you'll pay extra.
* Check the weather before you go so you don't have to purchase weather-appropriate clothings and accessories on your trip.
* Bring a camera and extra batteries.A camera and batteries sold on your trip may cost more.
* Be smart about your wallet or purse and take extra precautions to safeguard your vacation funds from pickpockets.
* Bring your own 'over-the-counter' drugs for colds, headaches and more, to ensure that you're not paying over-the-top prices for medicines you're not familiar with.
* Pack a map. If you're going somewhere new, you'll need it to figure out the best places to go, for less.
* Consider folding a duffle bag in your suitcase. If you get to the airport and your luggage is overweight,move some belongings to the duffle bag and carry it on your flight with you, avoiding extra baggage charges.
* Pay with a credit card, but keep track of your expenses. Then, pay off your card when you return from your vacation, ensuring you aren't paying interest for your memories.
* Be wary of "free" gifts,they aren't always complimentary.
* Plan your daily budget.Determine, in advanced of your trip, how much you're willing to spend each day and stick to it.